Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Lovely Lace Scarf

Over a year ago, I got the yarn and book to make the Peacock Tail and Leaf Scarf. I was excited to try something new and stretch myself as a knitter. I've done some lace, but nothing this fancy before. I loved the color and texture of the yarn.


But because I thought it would be a challenging and time consuming project and because I live in Texas where it is generally warm, I kept putting it off. Anyway, I finally just started it and I'm so glad I did. This lace project ended up being much easier than I expected. The "nupps" were challenging at first, but got much easier with practice. The lace pattern was easy to pick up and I quickly figured out the "rhythm" of it and only had to look back at the chart for reassurance at the beginning of some rows. The yarn seemed to be easier to work with in a lace pattern than it was in the stockinette of the Ripple Cardigan. This was still a somewhat lengthy project, but it was a fun one.

I finished knitting it about a week ago, but put off weaving in ends and blocking until yesterday. It is amazing what a difference blocking makes with lace. The scarf is much longer and wider now and the scalloped edges on the sides are totally due to blocking.
It was a beautiful sunny morning so I decided to go take pictures outside. I had lots of fun playing with my scarf in our little tree--with lots of sunshine and shadows to complement the lace.


And since I wasn't feel very photogenic, Pepper was kind enough to model for me.


Pattern: Peacock Tail and Leaf Scarf from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush
Yarn: 2 skeins of Rowan Kidsilk Haze in Shade 597 (70% Super Kid Mohair/ 30% Silk/ 25g/ 229 yd)
Needles: Size 3
Modifications: None. I had some yarn leftover. If I knit this again, I'd probably add a repeat or two of the middle lace pattern for a little extra length.

3 comments:

sophanne said...

HOLY AWESOME BATMAN!!

That is gorgeous and I love the tree shadow shots!

Mary said...

Absolutely beautiful!! LOVE THE GREEN

Jadielady said...

Gorgeous!! Be careful, lace becomes addicting!