Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Sneak Peek at a Surprise Knit

I finished my secret surprise knit project and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a Christmas gift so I can't go into full details yet...but here are a few sneak peeks:


For this project I used a yarn I have seen used by a lot by other knit bloggers (including Jared Flood): Noro Silk Garden. This is by far the most expensive yarn I have ever bought, but it was PERFECT for the project I wanted to knit and so I bought it. Although I love the way this project turned out, I'm a bit disappointed in the yarn. The colors are lovely and you can see they transition quite nicely from one to the next...except for when there is a random break in the yarn and a whole section is MISSING. This happened at least once in each of the four skeins I had. That was disappointing and a pain in the butt as I had to then try to piece the yarn back together in a way that kept the colors looking okay in the pattern. I felt this made me waste some of this lovely yarn and it made for lots more ends to weave in when I was done. This yarn is a silk/kidmohair/lamb's wool mix. I would like to soften this up just a bit--do any of my knitterly friends have any suggestions for that? But anyway, this project is done and I can't wait to give it to its intended recipient at Christmas. This was my first time doing entrelac (that fun little diamond pattern) and I really enjoyed it. Will probably do it again sometime in the future.

And yes, I am in shock that I finished a Christmas knit in September. Woo hoo!

1 comment:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I haven't tried entrelac yet but I have some noro stashed away for an entrelac hat I want to make