Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Finished: J's School Bus Sweater

A while ago, J asked me to knit him a yellow sweater. I was so excited that he wanted me to knit for him that I, of course, said yes. I then went about searching Ravelry for the perfect sweater. I just couldn't decide. Then I realized that I already owned the perfect pattern--one I had bought on my very first trip to my local yarn shop, The Woolie Ewe, when I moved to Texas.

Pattern: Sirdar Snuggly DK #1784 (Cabled V Neck Polo Sweater)
Size: 4-5 years
Yarn: 4 skeins of Plymouth Yarn Dreambaby DK in Color #110 (50% Acrylic Microfiber/50% Nylon/ 50g/ 183 yds)
Needles: Size 3 for ribbing and collar, Size 6 for body of sweater
Modifications: I knit the sweater in the round until the armpits, then followed the pattern as written. Because of my change, I removed one stitch from each edge of the front and back. I also knit the sleeves in the round with the same stitch adjustment. Once I hit the cap shaping, I knit them flat.
Thoughts: I loved working with this yarn because it is so soft, not splitty, and machine washable. The pattern was fun, but pretty easy. I quickly memorized the cable/twisted stitch pattern. The DK weight on size 6 needles makes a nice lightweight sweater with good feel and drape. I was anxious about doing set-in sleeves, but I think they turned out fine. I still enjoy raglan more. I hope J loves this sweater as it looks SO adorable on him. I might just have to make one for N (in a different color, of course. One school bus yellow sweater is enough for any family.)

Anyway, here is J in his new sweater. I think it looks wonderful and seems to fit well too. He thought it was really funny to run around while I tried to take his picture. Oh well. Luckily, my camera has a good flash. :)
And, of course, N decided he wanted to be part of the photo shoot too.


Doesn't J's sweater look great with N's footie pajamas?

4 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That is a great colour!

sophanne said...

He looks like he's runnin' to catch the bus!

That sweater is awesome!

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Great sweater! J looks quite pleased with it.

Yarnhog said...

Terrific sweater!

You'll never have to worry about losing him in the snow. Or the dark.