Thursday, May 28, 2009

Knitted Photography Props

One of my new friends in the neighborhood is a photographer. She recently asked me to knit her a few photography props. I don't usually take knitting orders because there are so many things I want to knit and I never have enough time to knit them all. However, the items Nancy wanted were quick knits so I decided to do it.

First, I made her this "cocoon" which will be great for little newborns. Although I could have made up a pattern pretty easily, I found this one on etsy and I was so excited by the fact that the designer was giving permission for all uses of her permission (even for making and selling) that I bought it. I love designers with generous spirits. I adapted the pattern by casting on less stitches. The cocoon was really quick and easy to knit.


Cocoon
Pattern: Baby Cocoon by 4asong
Yarn: Lion Homespun (Barley): less than one skein
Needles: Size 15 16" circular
Modifications: Cast on less stitches.

My next project was a "boy hat with ties." I chose to do a very simple version of helloyarn's top down bonnet. I made one for J when he was little and loved it on both him and N.


Boy hat
Pattern: Top Down Bonnet by Helloyarn
Yarn: Bernat Softee Baby (less than one skein)
Needles: Size 3 doublepoints
Size: Child
Modifications: I did not do ears or a face.


My third project for Nancy was a "girly hat with ties." I chose to use Sandi Wiseheart's free pattern Vine Lace Hat. This hat didn't originally have ties, but I just added them by picking up 3 stitches on opposite edges of the hat and knitting i-cord for about 10 1/2 inches. I followed the directions for the 3-6 month size hat, but was worried that it was too small. So then I made a second hat (but knit this one for 4"--instead of 3"--before doing the crown decreases). Overall, this is a fun little lace project and I enjoyed making these hats.

Girly Hat
Pattern: Vine Lace Baby Hat by Sandi Wiseheart
Yarn: Cascade Yarns Pima Tencel (a little more than half a skein per hat--I had to break into a leftover partial skein for part of the second hat)
Needles: Size 4 doublepoints
Size: 3-6 month
Modifications: Larger hat is knit for 4" before decreasing for crown. 3 stitch i-cord added for ties.

I have one project left--an "egg" which is similar to a cocoon, but more egglike. Just need to go find the right yarn.

Nancy is a wonderful photographer so if you're in the Dallas area, you should consider her for your next photo shoot. Check out her website here.

1 comment:

Yarnhog said...

Of course, my first thought was "Photographer friend = professional FOtos!"

All your knits are adorable; I hope she loves them.