Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Turn A Square, and Another and Another

For a while now I've been kind of wanting to knit Turn A Square by Jared Flood of BrooklynTweed. I just liked the simplicity of it and the fun way the Noro stripes worked out. However, living in Texas, I didn't have much use for one. However, I recently heard of an opportunity to do some charity knitting by knitting some men's hats...and, of course, I thought of the the Turn A Square. I had about a skein and a half of gray Wool-Ease leftover from my Berry and Bramble Cardigan and a little bit of Noro leftover from the Entrelac Scarf. However, I was afraid the colors were a bit girly so when I saw Amazing at Michael's a decided to pick up a skein of that instead. Anyway, I knit one hat and really liked it and decided to keep going. I've now completed three and I think I might have enough yarn to make one more.

Pepper decided she needed to check out these things in her backyard.

This hat is truly a pleasure to knit. The pattern is clearly written and simple to knit. I learned how to do jogless stripes which was really easy and very rewarding. The fun of watching the Amazing stripes change was motivating and kept the hats interesting.

This photo shows the progression of the yarn color changes. The hat on the left is the first hat and the hat on the right is the third hat.

I highly recommend this pattern. I never make three (or four) of anything. These were so relaxing to make and used up very little yarn.

And, of course, I have three boys and three hats so they had to model them for me.

Pattern: Turn A Square by Jared Flood (BrooklynTweed)
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease in gray (about 1 1/2 skeins makes 3-4 hats)[80% Acrylic/20% Wool/ 3 oz/ 197 yd]; Lion Brand Amazing in Arcadia (1 skein makes 3-4 hats) [53% Wool/47% Acrylic/ 1.75oz/ 147 yd]
Needles: Size 7 16" Circular and Doublepoints
Modifications: None



So fun! Now I'm pondering a nice Turn A Square sweater. Can't you see these stripes on a simple raglan pullover?

No comments: