Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Making Loveys...and a Hat

Got to admit that every time I say something (or write something) about making loveys, I feel a little bit like I've just shared way too much info. Silly, but true.

Anyway, here are my latest bunch of loveys.
For a little boy:

And for three little girls:


The last little girl is my newest niece. She's not due until June, but we just found out yesterday that she is a SHE. It's the first girl for my husband's family so everyone is extra excited.

And the hat is The Better Bucket by Amy Swenson. Free Pattern Download Available on Ravelry
It's for my cousin, Christie. She's currently going through chemo. I knew I wanted to make her a hat and this was one of the first patterns I found that I liked. Then I found this Malabrigo Merino Worsted (the recommended yarn for this hat). This yarn is the color that reminds me most of my cousin so I knew this hat was meant to be. I never use the recommended yarn for projects, but I'm really glad I did this time. This was my first time using Malabrigo and I LOVED it. It is wool, but so soft and just wonderful to work with. I will definitely use it again in the future. Making this hat was my first time doing a provisional cast on. The one in the pattern didn't make sense to me and I almost chickened out, but then I found this tutorial and decided to try the crochet chain provisional cast on. It was actually pretty easy and the results are wonderful. I will definitely use that again too. The hat doesn't look great on me, but I hope my cousin will like it. The button is from Jo-Anns; it's part of LaMode's Vintage Collection.


Hat details:
Pattern: A Better Bucket by Amy Swenson
Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worsted (Less than one skein)
Needles: Size 7 (16" circular and doublepoint)
Modifications: None

4 comments:

Lydee said...

cool hat! love the loveys!

Anonymous said...

you are too sweet! love you and love the fabric for the the first gilr lovey, the fruit :),

Jadielady said...

YAY! I'm about to cast on that same exact hat! I just posted the color on my blog.

I have been thinking of Christy, I hope she is doing well.

HomeMadeOriginals said...

Darn, the link you gave to the pattern no longer works....I'll see if I can Google it. Love your hat!