Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Finished: Folded

I finally finished Folded, a fun sweater pattern by Veera Valimaki, that I have been working on since the end of August! I can't believe it took me so long to knit this sweater. For the first few months (September and October) I had very little knitting time due to J's new school schedule and various Halloween-related crafts including making Halloween costumes for B and I.

Since then, I haven't had a good excuse. I had some real issues with the sleeves--but not all the sweater's fault. I knit my first sleeve 4 times. The first time, I misread the pattern and forgot to put in the increases. The second time, the sleeve just felt too tight. The third time, I changed the increase placement but still felt the sleeve was too tight. Finally, on my fourth try I moved up a needle size (to 4s for ribbing and 6s for stockinette) and did the increases earlier. Details on Ravelry.

Anyway, I finally finished knitting the sweater in December, but left it waiting to block and ends waiting to be woven in until after I finished knitting the pieces for my sister's Ripple Cardigan. I ended up blocking both at once and then finishing this one. I am still seaming the cardigan.

I wore my Folded sweater on Sunday and like it a lot. The fingering weight yarn makes it nice and lightweight. After blocking, it has a really nice drape to it. I like the simplicity of the stockinette stitch with the little bit of added interest the folds at the center above the bustline add.

Pattern: Folded by Veera Valimaki
Yarn: 3 skeins of Araucania Itata Solid (fingering weight, 70% super wash wool/ 15% silk/ 15% bamboo, 100g, 430 yd)
Needles: Size 3 body ribbing, Size 5 body stockinette, Size 4 sleeve ribbing, Size 6 sleeve stockinette
Size: xs, 32" bust
Mods: Changed increases for sleeves. Knit sleeves on larger needle. Made sleeves bracelet length. Added 3 rows of 2 x 2 ribbing around neckline to keep it from rolling.

1 comment:

Nicole B. said...

Looks great! You are too cute!