Thursday, August 26, 2010

Changing Gauge

I am currently trying to knit this sweater:



Isn't it adorable? I love the open collar with buttons. So cute! I think this will be a great sweater for the warmer Texas fall and winter days.

The pattern calls for light fingering weight yarn, but I had some great charcoal gray yarn in a light worsted (Country by naturally caron.com) in my stash that I've been waiting to use. I decided this was the time to use it.

So I did three gauge swatches to decide what size needle to use and decided on a size 7. I then measured my gauge: 20 st x 28 rows = 4 inches. (The pattern gauge is 28 st x 39 rows = 4 inches.) Next, I looked in Stitch n' Bitch Nation and reviewed how to change the numbers to make the pattern fit my yarn and gauge. The ratio of me/pattern ended up being .7 for both stitches and rows. I then multiplied all the numbers in the pattern by .7 to get my numbers. I had to adjust slightly in a few places to accommodate stitch patterns (e.g., needed to cast on a multiple of 6 for the 3 x 3 ribbing.)

Anyway, this is how far I've gotten:

Sorry for the sideways picture. Blogger just flipped it for some reason.

This is a closeup of the beginning of the front right sleeve:


I'm not sure if the larger yarn/gauge is going to make this sweater feel too bulky or not. It's also looking a little boxy. I tried to "try it on" but it's hard to tell at this point. Only time will tell. Will keep you posted.

I'm considering using my buttons on this.


What do you think? Adorable or too much?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I say adorable. I also think your blog is terrific. Cute little guys and really neat knitting projects. Thanks for sharing!

Patty said...

Hmmm. I'm thinking too much. I love the buttons and the sweater but don't know if I like them together??

LOVE the blog! Keep it up!