Thursday, November 6, 2008

Prayers Needed

I found out yesterday that my cousin Christie has been diagnosed with cancer, Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I guess if you're going to have cancer it's a better kind to have. I'd rather she didn't have any kind of cancer. It's still really early on in Christie's diagnosis; she has her cat scan next week to find out what stage her cancer is in. I guess then we'll know what treatment will be. At this point, she's been told that she'll probably need about 6 months of chemotherapy.

The whole family is still in shock. It still feels so unreal. I love all of my family, but Christie has always been one of my favorites. She's truly one of the kindest people I've ever met. She would do absolutely anything for you. Christie can always be counted on to listen when you need someone to talk to or to stay up late partying if you need someone to celebrate with. She's not happy with this turn of events, but she's ready to fight the fight.

Christie is a mom and has two of the most beautiful children. Kelsey is thirteen and definitely takes after her mom when it comes to big hearts. All the little children in the family adore her. Liam is three and a sweetheart too. He has cerebral palsy so he's got his own battles to fight each day. Christie and her husband Kevin just bought their first house. And now this.

It just makes me mad. Why does cancer have to happen to such a wonderful person? I know that cancer happens to wonderful people all the time. That's the way life works. I also know that Christie will do a great job fighting this, but I so wish she didn't have to.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask everyone who reads this to please say some extra prayers for Christie and her family. Please help them all to be strong throughout this fight. Thanks for your help!

Also, my knitterly friends, I want to knit something special for Christie. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Jadielady said...

*passes along hugs and my prayers*
My father had Hodgkins when I was about 9. And 20 years later he's perfectly fine! I am sure everything will be ok

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you and the boys; prayers for Christie and her family. It sounds like she is one strong lady and has an army of supporters behind her.

Carol said...

I so sorry to hear this. You and your cousin Christie in my thoughts and prayers ((Hugs))

Yarnhog said...

I'm so sorry. But from what I understand, it is a very treatable cancer, so do take heart.

I recommend a shawl she can wear during chemo. When I was hospitalized with a serious illness, my best friend brought me the quilt from her bed and I kept it wrapped around me for weeks. It was the best thing anyone brought me; like a security blanket, or a big hug.