Friday, August 26, 2011

Pinterest

Well, I finally jumped on the bandwagon and joined Pinterest. For people who don't know about Pinterest, it is a place to create and save virtual pinboards. I have been avoiding it because I was scared of how much time I might spend on it, but I finally gave in. It's great. Now instead of bookmarking every knit pattern, inspiration piece, recipe or cool crafty idea, I can just "pin" them on one of my Pinterest boards. I love how easy it is to use. I love having access to the cool things I have found and the cool things others have found.

Anyway, being on Pinterest has made me want to do lots of crafty things. Two types of crafty things I've been seeing everywhere are felt and fabric flowers. I found and pinned a few tutorials and started playing. Here are the few I've done so far.

I found a really cool tutorial for felt flowers and made this one:
This flower was SO easy to make and I think it is quite cute.

The person who made the tutorial, also made a really cool wreath covered in these flowers. I was thinking it would be fun to make a fall wreath. Then I remembered some cool fabric orange and white fabric I have and thought the fabric would look cool on a fall wreath. So I tried to use this method to make a fabric rose. My first attempt was a total fail--the fabric was too thin and one-sided. Then I tried gluing two circles of fabric together and that worked a little better:


I'm still not 100% satisfied. I decided to try a different technique for making a fabric flower. I looked at this tutorial and this one. I didn't follow either of them exactly, but ended up with this on my first try:
Besides the fact that this fabric is boring (didn't want to use up any good fabric while I learned the ropes), I think this turned out pretty cute. Not sure if this method will really show off the cuteness of the fabric I wanted to use. Will have to play more with size of fabric strip I use (width and length). I also need to decide if I want to use the glue method or sewn together method. Mine right now are just folded together but not held together with anything. I did one last attempt with a more interesting fabric and here it is:


I only folded my fabric in half once because I like a little bit of the raw edge to show. I think it adds interest.

Anyway, that is my craftiness for now. If you are on Pinterest or decide to join, let me know so I can follow you and be inspired by what inspires you :). You can follow me too if you want.

No comments: