Sunday, October 28, 2007

Not a lot of knitting, but some good reading

I've been back in reading mode recently and have read three decent books in a row. It's been a while since that's happened. Mainly because I get my books from the library when I'm with Little Man who is either pulling everything in reach off the shelves or ready to get back to the children's section. So I'm usually just grabbing random books based on their cover or title without even glancing at the description. Doesn't always work out so well. But recently, we've been having some good luck. Anyway, three enjoyable books--so I thought I'd take a moment and write a quick blurb about each.

The first was Babyville by Jane Green. I was a little sad when I realized it was set in London because sometimes all the British lingo annoys me, but it didn't end up bothering me at all in this one. Despite the title, this book is a lot more about women, mainly single women, than about babies. I found it entertaining and relate-able. It was a bit unrealistic at times, but I enjoy suspending disbelief and enjoying a little extra happiness. It's definitely a "fluff" book which I was in the mood for so very enjoyable.

The second book I read was The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. This one was definitely not fluff. It's a memoir. Let me tell you, Jeannette Walls had a very interesting, but not a very easy life. A little disturbing at times, but very well written. The chapters are pretty short and they make you want to just keep reading and reading and reading.

The third book was more fluff--The Cubicle Next Door by Siri L. Mitchell. It's about a blogger. It's the first book I've ever read about a blogger. She's a bit of an oddball, but somehow that made me relate to her even more (well, because I'm a bit of a strange one myself). The guy in the novel is a military guy and even though he doesn't fit the description, I kept picturing him as The Rock. Irrelevant, but somehow it humored me throughout the novel. Anyway, a great little fluffy romance with some food for thought built in for good measure. Very nice read. Again, I couldn't put it down because I'm sucker for romance and I wanted a happy ending.

Anyway, I'm always looking for a good book so if anyone has any suggestions, please pass them on. Happy day, everyone! Hope it's a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVED the glass castle! It was both miserable and wonderful.

I have been having great book luck these days at the library. The story time for 3 year olds is a drop-off program. So I get a half hour to myself (w. Laila) in the library.

I just read something by Mary Kay Andrews, chick lit but fun.

sophanne said...

The Library! I ALWAYS forget about The Library!

Thanks for the reminders-

A book about a blogger- also very interesting.