Thursday, December 20, 2007

7 Weird Things About Me

Lydee tagged me to share 7 Weird Things about myself. So here goes. I'm sure there are more than 7 things, but I will just list the first 7 that come to mind.

1. I treat my dogs as if they are human. Some people think this is weird. I let them kiss me on the mouth and sleep in my bed (under the covers). Some people think that is really weird.

2. I'm a hypochondriac who's somewhat afraid of doctors. So this means that I constantly think I'm dying of some strange disease, but I don't do anything about it. As I'm not really dying, it generally works out okay in the end.

3. Maybe I'm not so much of a hypochondriac as an extreme worrier. I once went to bed with my clothes on because my husband was really late getting home from a meeting and I didn't want to be in my pajamas when the police came to the door to tell me he was dead. Can we say drama? It is my middle name.

4. I hate to wear shoes. If I'm inside I'm either barefoot or in just socks. If it's summer time, I'm often barefoot outside. If I wear slip-off shoes, I am constantly slipping them off. Not so good when you're at work. I went barefoot a lot my freshman year of college (except to eat because that is gross), but then I stepped on a piece of glass that got embedded in my heel. Then I wore shoes more, but now I'm back to my on-needs-basis-only policy with shoe wearing. My husband is the opposite--he always has shoes on.

5. I get really attached to practical strangers in my life. Somehow I feel really close to people I barely know. I once saw our UPS man at my doctor's office--it was down the street from where I worked and thus on the same UPS route. I got all excited and eagerly greeted the UPS man as if he was a long lost friend. He thought this was very weird.

6. Sewing patterns scare me. I feel like I'm a pretty intelligent person. I know how to use a sewing machine. I have successfully made valances, a roman shade, pillows and a few other odds and ends. I have successfully followed a number of knitting patterns. But if I see a sewing pattern, I get really scared. I've tried using them before and immediately get overwhelmed and abandon the project. Or just continue sans pattern and make something similar, but not quite right.

7. I'm more comfortable sharing my intimate feelings with complete strangers than people I know. Now that there are a few people I know in real life who read this blog, I edit more of what I say on it. Right now life is pretty sucky with Brian being out of work and yet I haven't blogged about it because I don't want those people to know what my life is really like. Why must life always be happy and great? What's wrong with the reality of my life right now? Somehow it embarrasses me if I'm not happy. I know. I'm weird.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'd be right at home in New Zealand, they don't wear shoes either. Bare feet in the grocery store, at the bar...

I really worry when Ken is out late too. I imagine all kinds of disasters befalling him...

sophanne said...

I love number 5 and wish I would have thought of it myself for it's the truth for me. I bought the UPS man who comes to school a $25 gift card to EatnPark. I don't even know his name. I addressed the package to "UPS Guy." He did tell the secretary to tell me that his name is Bill. I just like to call him UPS guy.

Anonymous said...

My friend has a blog about her daughter and I felt like such a bad mom reading it, as it seemed like they never had bad days. I made some reference to it when I saw her once and she pointed out she had a second blog for complaining, which I thought was great!! I don't think I would be able to tell anyone if I had a blog because it would likely be all woe-is-me stuff. Feel free to share with me any time!!!!!

sophanne said...

Haley-thanks for the blog visit. It's nice to see you back. I think blogland can be a great place to visit when life is not so great. Every now and then while trying to make my not so great life become blog material either through a funny post a venting post or a WTF post I end up feeling not so bad. When the really heavy duty hating life as it is right now crap hits the fan, there is plenty of sympathy among commenting imaginary friends. It's good to see you back. We're all here with you (and aren't really imaginary)

Lydee said...

Loved hearing your weird things. We're too funny, I know I told eveybody about my blog, but then they started reading it, and now I'm afraid to blog. I should pass out this blessing: may your family never discover your blog!

Blogs are good for venting, perhaps it's because we don't feel like strangers would pass judgement on us, unlike some aquaintances.

Writing does make me feel better, if only because I like to laugh at my own jokes!

Go give your doggies some kisses. I kiss my cats!