Wednesday, January 12, 2011

More Than I Ought to Be, Less Than I Want to Be

So I'm still knitting...not as much as I want to be, but probably more than I ought to be with all the work I still need to do to get our house on the market. I don't knit every day, but I have been working in some knit time for sanity sake.

Last night I finished up this:
It's the Traveling Cowl.

Ever since Christmas, I've been wanting to knit something for my sister. As time is limited with the house work and impending move, I decided on a cowl. When I favorited this one on Ravelry, my sister commented that it was gorgeous and my decision was made. Sticking to my goal of using stash yarn as much as possible, I decided to use this skein of NaturallyCaron.com Spa. The yarn is a bamboo blend and really slippery and drapey. It took a few tries to find the right needles, but I ended up using a size 8 and following the directions for a large worsted weight cowl. I like drapey (vs. stiff) cowls, but this may be TOO drapey. The cowl has very little structure. Even with blocking, I wasn't able to really show off the simple lace pattern at the bottom of the cowl. On the positive side, this yarn is REALLY soft and friendly next to your neck. I only used a little less than half the skein so I may make another cowl or some sort with this yarn.

Pattern: Traveling Cowl by Liz Abinante (feministy.com)
Yarn: Slightly less than 1/2 skein of NaturallyCaron.com Spa (75% Acryllic/25% Bamboo/ 85 g/ 251 yd) in Oceanspray
Needles: Size 8 16" circular
Size: Worsted Weight Large In the Round
Mods: None

Since the Traveling Cowl pattern wasn't available until January, I decided to cast on for a sweater for my niece Isla on Christmas day (knitting time as a Christmas gift for myself). She really loved the white baby sweater I gave her (pictured on J in the header of this blog) so I decided to do another white cardigan. I had a bunch of white Bernat Baby in my stash so I am using that. It's a 4 ply so it will take a decent amount of time to finish. Here's what I've done so far:It's going to be a baby/toddler version of Coraline by Ysolda Teague.

And since I got a giftcard for Christmas and The Woolie Ewe had their big end of the year sale, I got myself this yarn:
to make the Blackberry Cardigan.

I also got this yarn to make some sort of lacy scarf for my mother-in-law. She requested one after seeing my Peacock Tail and Leaf Scarf.


I still have the yarn waiting for me to make my striped raglan sweater, Tang (turtleneck sweater) and Paper Dolls (colorwork sweater).

No more yarn purchases needed for me--just need more time.

Okay, enough knitting talk. Must go finish cleaning my house :).

1 comment:

Kim said...

The knitting-from-my-stash-only is fun for a while. You find yarns you had forgotten about, amaze yourself with your ideas for those odd skeins. . . But then, one day, you HAVE TO go shopping!!!

Courage, my friend. Courage for us all.