Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dear Fellow Shoppers,

Dear Fellow Shoppers at the End of the Year Yarn Sale,
It was nice to spend the morning with you. But before I go on about how nice most of you were, I want to apologize for being that person who thought it would be a good idea to bring a three year-old and a nineteen month-old to a sale at our local yarn shop. In my defense, this was my first big yarn sale and I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. I had no idea quite how many people would be there or how zoo-y it would get. Also in my defense, I asked B to go into work late or to take off early so I could come without the boys, but he didn't feel my enjoyment of a yarn sale warranted him taking time off work. Well! Anyway, I apologize for being in your way repeatedly. I know that knit shops are not arranged with strollers in mind and that even though my stroller was small and highly necessary (N is really fast and would have quickly mangled 100s or even 1000s of dollars worth of yarn in mere minutes) it was majorly in the way. So for everyone whose path I blocked, whether you were trying to get to yarn or get to the end of the checkout line, I apologize. I tried to make my shopping trip as efficient as possible by carefully planning out what I was looking for. Before I went, I looked up the patterns for several projects and wrote down the yarn requirements for each. I even brought a few of the patterns with me. All in all, I was considering buying yarn for four different projects (1 sweater for my sister and 3 sweaters for me). I ended up buying yarn for my sister's sweater (Slanting Gretel Tee) and one for me (Ripple Cardigan). I was tempted to buy yarn for one other, but decided that even at 40% off (woo hoo!) I was still spending plenty for one day. So, fellow shoppers, I apologize for any inconvenience my temporary insanity caused. I also want to thank you for all your kind words in regards to the good behavior of my children. With the help of an Elmo phone (sorry if the sound of Elmo's squeaky little voice annoyed anyone), two packs of fruit snacks and a bag of jelly beans (not sure how long those have been in my bag, but I'm glad they were there), the boys managed to be really good even though my "quick trip to the knit shop" took about an hour and a half. Hope you all are as happy with your purchases as I am with mine.

6 skeins of Ella Rae Baby Cotton in Aloha (for my sister's Slanting Gretel Tee):


And 4 skeins of Schulana Kid-Seta (identical to Rowan Kidsilk Haze) in a lovely burnt orange (for a Ripple Cardigan for me):This photo really does NOT show the true color. The actual yarn is much richer and darker and just lovely! If you click on this link, it is #7 Tangerine.

Take care. --Haley

P.S. Are any of you considering getting up before the crack of dawn to head back to The Woolie Ewe at 5:00AM tomorrow morning to get another chance at 40% off? I think I've convinced myself not too, but there's still time for my insanity to return.

2 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I love the green yarn! So pretty!

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

From someone who works in a LYS, you sound like a pretty awesome LYS shopper with kids. Merely the recognition of potential yarn-damage by kids is much appreciated by the shop employees.

But, wow - 5 a.m. for a sale? I'm really glad I don't work at your LYS! :)