Monday, July 2, 2007

Take Me Home

I'm on vacation (sort of). Little Man and I are in Virginia visiting with my family. We arrived yesterday and are here for almost a week. Then we all head down to Oak Island, NC for our annual family reunion/beach vacation (think matching hats, lots of people, drinking beer on the beach). Brian is going to meet us down there. So Little Man and I could get to Virginia without Brian, Little Man and I ending up with two cars at the beach, Brian drove us half way (West Virginia) and my mom met us there. Then my mom drove Little Man and I the rest of the way to Virginia.

Placket-Neck Pullover for Little Man


I decided to add this week in Virginia to our beach trip for several reasons. First, it will make my mom and my sister really happy. Second, it will save Little Man from having to be in the car for 14 hours. Third, I get bonus time with my mom and dad, my brother and sister, and my nephews and niece. Fourth, it will save us a little money (no hotel room on the way to the beach) and my husband doesn't have to take an extra vacation day for the drive. He can easily do the drive by himself on Saturday.

Ribbons Hat (Susan B. Anderson) for my sister's niece

I didn't realize there was a fourth great bonus--knitting time! Little Man was so great in the car yesterday. He didn't sleep at all during the first 4 hour trek, but he didn't fuss a lot either. Then the second 4 hour trek, he slept for 2 1/2 hours and was happy the rest of the trip. I didn't knit the whole time, but I did knit a lot. I got this far on my nephew's Wallaby:




Very exciting!


Cabled Hats with Earflaps (Zoe Mellor) for the triplets.


As usual, I have brought way too many knitting projects for two weeks, but I'm feeling very ambitious.


Wonderful Wallaby for my niece


I brought some good beach reading, too.



Anyway, I will not get a lot of chances to blog this week and I won't be able to blog at all next week. I don't own a laptop so I won't have computer access at the beach. So hopefully you'll hear from me again this week and then you'll have to wait another week before you get bombarded with lots of beach pictures, stories, and photos of finished projects!



Work Update: I talked to my boss on Friday and am ready and somewhat excited about this new project. I think I will be totally slacking on my cleaning and cooking duties, but maybe I'll surprise myself. I'm finally getting my contract this week and should try to create my first phonics workbook before heading to the beach. I brought the materials to do this, but we will see if I actually pull them out to use them rather than to photograph them. I've realized that, in general, when I don't get things done it's not a lack of time, but a lack of motivation. We will see whether I'm motivated to do anything other than hang out with my family and KNIT!





5 comments:

Lydee said...

Yea! The beach! We go to Oak Island too! We were going to go this summer, but the week we set aside turned out to be the week I need to be back at school! That would be mistake number one of being a new teacher. (I only started working in January last year, this is my first year with a contract)

Have a great time, blah the work, just knit and spend time with family.

Lydee said...

I just checked out your pics on flickr; they are GORGEOUS! I love them! Awesome!

Yarnhog said...

Knitting in the car is great. I knitted for 22 hours on a recent trip to Lake Tahoe. My husband still thinks it was his idea to drive for 22 hours.

Haley said...

lydee--sorry your trip to oak island didn't work out, but congrats on the teaching job! i've been going to oak island (specifically long beach) as long as i can remember. i think our first trip was when i was 3 or 4.

yarnhog--22 hours! that's impressive. did you take any children with you? i would enjoy the knitting time, but i don't think little man could handle it.

JulieFrick said...

Have a great time! Sounds like your car ride was a mother's dream. We don't get too many of those with Sir Crankypants! Love all the knitting. Remember to check the errata on that placket neck! It's a doozy!