For some reason I have been playing with the idea of making my boys stuffed animal snakes. I don't really remember why. I think maybe because they love to play with things like jumpropes and old belts. They pretend they are all kinds of things, but most often fire hoses. Anyway, I've been playing with the idea in my head for a few weeks.
This week I decided to do some sewing because I realized I was had four baby gifts that were overdue. I went to pick out fabric for some loveys from my stash and found some nice green leftover from some other projects. So I set it aside for snakes. I cut out my loveys and got ready to sew them up when I realized that I had bright green thread in my sewing machine so...I did what any person would do...I set aside the baby presents and sewed up some snakes.
They were REALLY easy. I just cut out two strips of fabric of roughly equal size--green fuzzy for the top side of the snake and green print for the underside. I put the two pieces together with the right sides facing in. I drew a head on one end and a tail on the other. Then I sewed them together, free-styling for the body and leaving a space for stuffing.
The stuffing, in an attempt to be "green," is made up of two ripped up old t-shirts and a sleepsack, all that were too stained to donate.
I still used poly-fil for the heads to fill out the curves, but even some of that was reused from a toy Pepper destuffed yesterday. The rag filling makes for a heavier stuffed animal, but it also allows the snakes to be curved and bent in a nice way.
I don't know if I'd reuse it for most stuffed animals, but the rag stuffing worked really well for these snakes.
For tongues, I used a bit of ribbon. For eyes, I sewed on fleece circles and then added color with embroidery floss.
Overall, I'm very happy with our slithery green snakes. Ssss...