Sunday, October 18, 2009

An Amazing Race

On Saturday I walked in the Komen Dallas Race for the Cure. This was my second year doing the walk here in Dallas. I also did the walk for five years in Cleveland. Every year I am so amazed and impressed by the people around me and this year was no exception. I walked with two of my friends from my neighborhood and we were surrounded by around 30,000 people for the 5K run/walk. I am so amazed by the strength and spirit of the survivors. I was brought to tears by the stories of lost moms and dads and wives and sisters and daughters, but so impressed by their friends and family at the same time.

People ask me why I feel so strongly about this cause. I've never had breast cancer. I've not lost a mother or a sister or a daughter and I don't want to.


I started doing the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure because my friend and boss Ellin was diagnosed with breast cancer. But every year I walk I know more and more people who have or are fighting cancer and most of them are fighting breast cancer.

Last week I found out that one of my cousin's best friends was diagnosed with breast cancer four weeks ago. She's already had a bilateral mastectomy and will now have to do chemo and radiation. She is only thirty-four years old. I can't imagine.


I've seen what fighting cancer does to you. My amazing cousin Christie was diagnosed with cancer this year and did lots of chemo to fight it. She is currently in remission, but is still dealing with both the physical effects from the chemo and the emotional effects of having cancer. I see how the cancer has ravaged her life and she is one of the strongest people I know.


I hate that so many people have to fight this fight.


I hate that not all of them win.

I hate that children are growing up without mothers or fathers, that men are losing their wives, that people are losing their sisters and mothers and aunts and daughters and friends. I hate that women are choosing to lose their breasts in hopes of evading this disease.

I HATE it! I don't want to lose any of my loved ones to this disease.


So each year, I walk the walk and I try to raise money for this cause.

Thanks to my WONDERFUL friends and family, I have raised $920 this year. Only $80 to go to reach my goal of $1000. I hope to reach that goal in the next few weeks. Go here if you want to help me.


I hope that one day no one will lose their life or their loved ones or even their ta-tas to breast cancer!

1 comment:

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Cheers to you - a wonderful cause to support.