Saturday, June 6, 2009

Book List: The Best Movie Never Made and J. Lo, PI

I've been totally sucked into this round of library books. Here are the latest two.

She Went All The Way by Meg Cabot: This novel tells the story of Lou Calabrese, a screen writer, and Jack Townsend, an actor, who get stuck together in the Alaskan wilderness after a helicopter crash. To make matters worse, the two have a long history of hating each other and their exes just eloped together. Formulaic, maybe? Addictive, yes! This book sucked me in and wouldn't let go. I kept imagining how great of a movie it would make--part Romantic Comedy, part Action flick, some sex scenes thrown in for good measure. If you're looking for a quick read and a little escapism, I highly recommend this one.

Living the Vida Lola by Misa Ramirez: Lola is a young, hot Latina private investigator--a kind of J. Lo who could kick your butt. She's working to find a killer and a boyfriend. Not usually the kind of storyline I go for, but I decided to give it a try since the author "lives near Dallas, Texas" like me. Sometimes frustrated (in my head) with my inability to pronounce (in my head) all of Lola's Spanish expressions, I still enjoyed this fast pace book. It was fun to try to solve the mystery as Lola found more clues related to the disappearance of Emily Diggs. There were a lot of questions (related to characters and subplots) that were left unanswered so I'm pretty sure this is just the first "Lola Cruz mystery." Unfortunately, since it was just published this year, I'll probably forget all those questions by the time the next one comes out. Oh well.

No comments: