Wednesday, June 17, 2009

We're #6!

Here are the current stats for the Dallas Komen Race for the Cure:
Quick Stats:
Number of Participants: 210

Number of Teams: 61
Top Team Standings:
1 - 1:11 Lauri's Angels ($901.11)
2 - Sistas 4 Life ($675.00)
3 - Pink Busters ($275.00)
4 - Fannie Mae ($250.00)
5 - Walk for Kath and Komen ($150.00)
6 - Rockin' Ranch Moms ($135.00)
7 - Texas BUC$ for the Cure ($125.00)
8 - Couture Events By Lottie ($115.00)
9 - Support the Sisters ($100.00)
10 - RMS ($75.00)


See Team #6 with the cheesy name? That's my team! That's the name of our neighborhood moms group. It's a cheesy name, but we're nice peoples. I doubt we'll be able to stay in the top ten teams, but am psyched all the same. Thanks to my family who has made all the donations towards our team so far. You are the best!

This will be my seventh year walking 5K in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, my second year walking with a team of my neighborhood moms here in Dallas. It's not a huge task physically, but it's a very powerful experience every year. I am always so impressed with the tales of strength I witness as I walk with thousands of people, mainly women, but also men and children. I love to see the determination of the survivors who are walking because they still can. I love to see the sheer joy as relatives celebrate the lives of their loved ones who have won their fight against cancer. I even love to see the power of love and remembrance in the eyes of the children and spouses of those who have not been so lucky. For everyone, the walk is a sort of therapy, a celebration of life.

This is a cause that I feel very strongly about. I know a number of women who have battled breast cancer. Fortunately, many of those women have won their battle, but not all have been so lucky. I know that chances are high that I will continue to be affected by this disease as it attacks more of the women who I love dearly and even possibly myself.

I am not one who likes to ask for things, but this asking is not for myself, but for the many people who will battle breast cancer or be affected by the loss of a loved one. If you are able, I ask you to please make a donation. If you choose to support a different cause, I respect that and I wish you luck in your endeavor. If in today's crazy economy making a donation is not feasible, I respect that as well. Just know that every little bit helps--so if $1 fits your budget, please donate $1. Your tax-deductible contribution will fund local outreach and awareness programs for underserved communities in the Dallas County area and national breast cancer research.

Donating is quick and easy. To visit my personal page and pledge your support. place this URL in a web browser: http://www.komen-dallas.org/site/TR/Race/General?px=1414921&pg=personal&fr_id=1040&autologin=true
No donation is too small. I truly appreciate your support. Every year I am amazed by the generosity of the people in my life.

No comments: