Friday, August 17, 2007

Does "Rusted" Mean "Ill-fated"?

I am having the worst time with my Rusted Root. I love the yarn I'm using (Cascade Pima Tencel) and I like the pattern, but I just can't seem to get it right.
My yarn before it was knitted and ripped a few times.
At first, I was making a few mistakes with the lace pattern. My eye kept jumping from Row 3 to Row 5 instructions and I would skip a YO. Then the XS ended up being too tight in the armpits (too short in the raglan and not enough stitches on the sleeve).

My first attempt (too small) before my first ripping



So I frogged my first attempt (all 56 rows of it) and started over making the S size. This time I remedied the lace issue by writing each odd row of the lace pattern on a separate notecard. This way I'm only looking at the row I need. The lace looks much better this time around.

My lace on my second attempt



One thing I liked about doing the XS is that I didn't have to circle any numbers on the pattern, I just did the first one. So when I started the S, I circled a few numbers and was on my way. I was so excited when I finished the first 28 rows because that meant I got to start doing some sleeve shaping. However, the sleeve decreases seemed to be off in terms of their placement on the sleeve. I was a little befuddled. Then I realized that I am a big idiot! I had followed the stitch numbers for the S size, but had failed to follow the row numbers for the S size. For a small, you're supposed to do 36 rows before beginning the sleeve shaping. Duh! This is needed to make the raglan longer. Can I say it again? Duh!

So I had to rip back (only 4 or 5 rows), but it took forever because I was only ripping a few rows. It really put a damper on my progress and kept me up an extra hour and a half as I tried to make sure I didn't do anything stupid while ripping. Big sigh. Oh well, such is life.

My Rusted Root now after a second ripping



I think part of my problem is that I decided to make a summer top in August. So I'm rushing to get it done so I can wear it before it gets too cold. Must slow down and think!

On a happier note, I'm still working away on my Wallaby for my younger nephew. It's almost ready for sleeves.

5 comments:

Lydee said...

Auugh, that is so frustrating! Are you still squeezing in knitting time during little man's naps?

sophanne said...

in the middel of this tangle yoke I realized why the last sweaters made me crazy. Oh, it starts out innocently enough. I'll be patient, I'll just knit calmly until it's done , it's all about the process.

Then the product starts teasing and I being going at it like a crazy person. Aargh!

Yarnhog said...

I think everyone runs into projects that just don't stick properly in the brain. I did Ariann (lace cardigan, knitted in the round) probably four times before I got it right, if you add up all the ripping. I kept messing up the lace pattern, the row count, the decreases.... I love it now, though, and wear it all the time, so it was worth it.

Anonymous said...

I hate projects that take 8 tries to get right. Oh wait... isn't that all projects.
Both WIP's look good.

JulieFrick said...

Ack! Sorry about all the ripping, but it's going to look awesome when you get it done. I love that top. It's been in my queue forever!