Friday, August 31, 2007

Socks! Socks! Socks!

Warning: Pictures Totally Unrelated to Post

I seem to be commenting a lot about socks these days so I decided to do a new post about them. Since I started blogging, I seem to be constantly surrounded by sock knitters. Everywhere I look--socks, socks and more socks. I, as a knitter, had never been tempted to knit socks. I didn't know anyone personally who knits socks (although I didn't know any knitters except my mom, an older former co-worker and a few girls I taught how to knit). And even when I began to be surrounded by sock after beautiful sock, I was not tempted by the sock.



However, the sock gave me a different feeling, inferiority. Suddenly, I began to feel like less of a knitter because I don't knit socks. I felt that somehow my knitting skills (which have grown quite a bit in my few self-taught knitting years) were less "real" than the abilities to do toe-up socks and toe-down socks and socks with picot edges and gusset heels. I don't even know what a gusset heel is. I felt like less of a knitter because I've never seen (in real life), much less touched or used, Koigu or STR or Shibui.




I just read on Kathy's blog about her similar feelings about sweaters. It was nice to hear that I'm not the only one who gets Knitting Inferiority Complex. Apparently, KIC is more rampant than I originally thought because I also read this post by Maritza. Anyway, I've decided to follow Kathy's suit and be undaunted by my non-sock-knitting status.




There's only one problem...now I've seen the sock that has tempted me to knit socks. I saw these socks by Megan. More specifically I saw her Lemongrass Pomatomus Almost Kneehighs in STR Mediumweight in Lemongrass (the yellowy-green one in the upper righthand corner of Megan's sock picture). The sock in the Pomatomus pattern did not so appeal to me, but when put into this lovely Lemongrass, the intricate pattern is showcased in such a lovely way. I want some. I want them to be knee highs. Maybe in a lovely warm gray or gray blue or something more funky like this or this. I don't know, but someday I want them.




But that day is not now. For now, my yarn budget is at $0. Because due to uncontrollable circumstances, we may possibly be without our main income sometime in the not-so-distant future. Until there is a certain beer on the market, our little household may be surviving off of my sad little sporadic paychecks and our savings. It should be doable, but it will not be pretty. No money for fun extras like sock yarn or any yarn for that matter. As there is no lovely sock yarn in my stash (none of this or this or this or this), then I will continue being a non-sock knitter for now. But someday I'm going to knit those knee high Pomatomuses and I'm going to love them.

5 comments:

Yarnhog said...

I got sucked into sock knitting (thanks to Yarn Harlot) against my better judgment. I bought a bunch of sock yarn, did socks for every member of my family, and then I was done. Just...done. I still have quite a bit of sock yarn, but the thing is, I can't get into spending hours and hours and hours knitting something that no one ever sees and that, by it's very nature, gets worn out and thrown away.

Anonymous said...

Sock yarn costs a pretty penny huh? I think that's why I've never really gotten the urge to knit lots of socks.

Will your husband's beer be distributed nationwide? I can definitely see my husband drinking something like that, he's always up for trying new beers!

Haley said...

@yarnhog--yes, i think that's part of why i'm not attracted to sock knitting. i wear tennis shoes and thus plain white socks a lot--boring, but true. i could only do sockknitting if i commit to something like knee socks that i could wear with a skirt and show off.
@alice--the plan is to distribute nationwide as soon as possible. i will definitely post on the beer as it becomes available--hopefully sooner than later!

nikki nimble needles said...

Mmm... Its a zillion degrees here in San Diego today. Far too hot to think about socks, but a yummy ice cold beer sounds divine.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, Rusted Root. Looking good. Knee-socks will happen, and yes, you will totally love them because they will take some much work!