Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Top Ten Reasons I Will Never Get Invited to Ravelry or My Stash Revealed

So Ravelry...it's everywhere these days. I first heard about if from Julie. I've been reading about it in various blogs and on Flickr, but I really started thinking about it after I saw this discussion post by Danielle H on Flickr:
I have two invites for Ravelry, and I want to give them away. All of my friends are already in, and I don't personally know any other knitters (or crocheters) that are waiting.

This confused me--can someone just give you an invite? I thought there was a big line or something. I decided to go to Ravelry and check it out. I even signed up:
You signed up on August 1, 2007
You are #22338 on the list.
14226 people are ahead of you in line.
902 people are behind you in line.
33% of the list has been invited so far

But I'm not sure why I bothered to sign up. I don't have time for Ravelry. Yet another way to be sucked into the vast timewarp that is the online knitting community. I barely have time to write this blog, read other blogs and enjoy the fun knitting groups on Flickr. But there is an even bigger reason, a very embarrassing reason, for not signing up for Ravelry which leads me to this week's Top Ten Tuesday Topic:

Top Ten Reasons I'll Never Get Invited to Ravelry (aka My Stash Revealed)
Not for the faint at heart


10. My Teeny Tiny Stash of Good Stuff (aka My "Spent my birthday money at the LYS" Stash):
4 skeins Blue Sky Cotton--Color #632 (100% Cotton)
1 skein Debbie Bliss cashmerino chunky--Color #17011 (55% Merino Wool/33% Microfibre/12% Cashmere)
6 skeins Cascade Yarns Pima Tencel--Color #9501 (50% Peruvian Pima Cotton/50% Tencel)

9. My Wool Stash:
2 skeins Palette Australian Wool--Caviar (1), Baby Pink (1) (100% Australian Wool)

8. No Yarn Nerd or Mama Blue or Helloyarn

7. My Cotton Stash:
5 skeins Lily Sugar N' Cream--assorted colors (100% Cotton)
2 skeins DMC Quick Finish Senso (100% Cotton)


6. No Koigu, Socks That Rock, Noro or Rowan

5. My Planned Sweater Stash:
4 skeins of Caron Simply Soft Tweed--Autumn Red (96% Acrylic/4% Rayon)
4 skeins of Red Heart Luster Sheen--Tea Leaf (100% Acrylic)


4. No Handspun

3. My Baby Gift Stash:
16 skeins of Bernat Baby--assorted pastels (100% Acrylic)

2 skeins of Patons Beehive Baby--Sprite Green (100% Acrylic)
2 skeins of Sirdar Snuggly--White (55% Nylon, 45% Acrylic)
10 partial skeins of Bernat Softee Baby (100% Acrylic)

Some partial skeins of Plymouth Encore--various colors (75% Acrylic/25% Wool)
2 skeins Bernat Satin--light blue(100% Acrylic)
2 skeins Bernat Softee Baby Sparkle--yellow (100% Acrylic)
3 skeins Caron Cuddle Soft--Baby Green (100% Acrylic)
1 skein Peacock Yarns Baby's Rainbow--Dream Blue (84% Acrylic/16% Polyester)

1 skein and lots of partials of Caron Simply Soft (100% Acrylic)




2. My Faux Mohair Stash:
6 skeins (plus some partials) Patons Divine--Deep Earth (4) , Orangina (1) , Floral Fantasy (1) and 3 skeins of Darice Mo'hair--Shrimp (1), Foliage (1) & Coconut Ice (1) (79.5% Acrylic/18% Mohair/2.5% Polyester)

1. My "I used to make funky textured scarves" Stash:
17 skeins of various "novelty" yarns (eyelash, ribbon, etc.)



So there we have it, I've shared my embarrassing secret with the world. Hope you won't think too poorly of me and my craft store, lots of Acrylic, no good, very bad stash.

7 comments:

Carol said...

So cute... I loved this post and the pictures. I'm not ashamed to say I use acrylic yarn.

Lydee said...

You're so funny! I don't even knit, so I really (for shame!) didn't know the difference about yarn until I started reading all the knitting blogs. That's why I say I live vicariously through you all. Thanks for the education!

We've been eating at Russel's for breakfast, and we went to Jones Seafood last night. Do you guys ever go to either place when you're down here?

Yarnhog said...

Well, you may not have the coolest stash in town, but you've got the coolest stash pictures! (And, hey, you'll never have to worry about getting robbed for your stash, right? I do worry about things like that, when I get tired of worrying about war, the demise of civilization, and global warming.)

Haley said...

lydee--we don't usually go out to eat when we are there, but my parents sometimes go to Jones.

yarnhog--no worries about robbers going for my stash. not unless, they are addicted to acrylic :).

Debra said...

As a stay at home mom of 3 I can relate to the financial crunch where yarn is concerned. I'm a fairly new knitter. I've started finding thrift store sweaters and unraveling. It's pretty fun and if you find a great sweater it can be a big score for your stash. I have a post showing how I do it on my blog.

You have a beautiful baby to knit for!

Haley said...

carol--thanks for your encouragement and support.
debra--i checked out your post. it was very helpful. loved your blog in general. thanks.

knitting singer said...

love this entry. There is no need to be ashamed of your stash, it is much more amazing than mine. As a university student who currently does not have a job I have to think long and hard before i invest in yarn. Love the pics!