Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Should I Build An Ark?

We've had a dry summer, but we finally got a bunch of rain today. I was excited. I saw the flood warnings on TV, but didn't think anything of it. My poor dry grass and thirsty plants needed some rain. I was happy for them. Sad for Little Man who wanted to play outside, but generally happy.

Until I realized that the flood warnings were apparently talking about my basement. Yes, I came downstairs during naptime intent on getting another phonics workbook done and found instead a rug that oozed water everytime I took a step. Yes, for the first time in six years my basement flooded. Did I mention that my husband is out of town? Good times.

It could have been worse, most of the water had subsided by the time I discovered the problem. It could have been worse, I could have stored my stash on the floor with all of my husband's files, papers and notebooks. But fortunately, the stash is safe. The papers aren't doing so well. You never realize how much junk you have until it's sitting there staring at you all soggy and wet.

So there's my day. But now the water is cleaned up. The rug is trying to dry out in the garage. And I'm off to knit. Although it's thundering again. I better go wash and dry those extra towels just in case.

6 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Oh, dear. I'm really sorry to hear that. The only flooding we get is when the toilet overflows, and that's quite bad enough. I hope you're able to rescue any important papers.

Haley said...

Luckily I don't think most of the papers are very important. My sweet husband is really bad about going through things and throwing out anything that is unneeded. So he ends up with stacks of stuff everywhere. I'm a stacker too, but I eventually go through my stacks and throw things out.

sophanne said...

It sounds like you handled it well. If that were to happen here I can't imagine being able to relax and knit. I'd have to blog about it and then call everyone I knew to make sure I "handled it correctly." Mother Nature did a nice job of "destashing" your husbands papers- he might want to go plant a tree in gratitude.

Haley said...

sophanne--i did all the calling around earlier in the day. i was exhausted and my Rusted Root was calling. Had to knit! love your comment about "destashing" my husband's papers. it was a much needed destashing. i will mention the tree planting to him :).

Lydee said...

Ha! Sophanne, you're too funny. Haley, I am feeling your pain. Hubbie and I have an outstanding arguement that he should have installed drains in our basement/garage (it's all one right now). He didn't and unfortunatley we get water in it when we get a very hard rain. It destashed my books the first time it happened (thus the beginning of our arguement).

And yes, I freak out when this happens when hubbie isn't home. Last time though I chose to ignore it. Only hubbie's stuff is down there so it's an "I told you so." Only it's a non-verbal one now due to my maturity, Ha!

Haley said...

lydee--luckily this was our first flooding experience. i wanted to just pretend it didn't happen, but i was afraid it would ruin our floors (just peel and stick tiles, but i really like them).